1800's Dickens Desk with rare EW Godwin Armchair
Late 1800's Dickens Desk with EW Godwin Armchair. Very rare desk with an even rarer bankers armchair attributed to E. Same family ownership over two generations. The desk is manually assembled and disassembled in that the entire top lifts off of the bottom sides (l&r). The tiger oak framed desktop has sections of leather to present the writing areas.
The center, lift-top, section is locked and we do have the original key but have been unable to lift open; hidden treasure? The top side sections have four drawers each and have fluted side lock frames (quite unique for this type of desk given the timeframe of make - Arts & Crafts).
All wheels are intact on the rounded legs. Desktop - 30.5" deep 59.5" wide. Height at center 31" & 30" on sides. Overall height - 46.5" (11" depth on top). Kneehole is 23" tall and 23" wide. When the top is taken off of the pedestals, each pedestal is 28.5 in height.
Well, to sum it up in one word - Amazing! This is a unique and aesthetically pleasing rock solid wood chair - appears to be a solid mahogany.
Godwin created wonderful sitting'instruments' and though unsigned (normal), this is a fine example of his work. Fixed in height on a iron swivel base with Godwin's signature leg structure. Seat back height - 35.5. Seat back width - 22. Arm width (outside) 23.5.
Arm width (inside) 20.5. Arm height - 27.5. Seat height - 18.5.
Both of these unique pieces are located in the classis city of Athens Ga. (65 miles NE of Atlanta) and can be viewed/inspected by appointment during the run of the listing.
This item is in the category "Antiques\Furniture\Desks & Secretaries". The seller is "moneygreen" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped to United States.
- Department: Baby, Boys, Girls, Kids, Teens, Adults
- Custom Bundle: Yes
- Style: Arts & Crafts/Mission
- Item Height: 46.5\
- Item Width: 59.5\
- Additional Parts Required: No
- Assembly Required: Yes
- Material: Tiger Oak, Golden Oak, solid Oak, Oak, Wood
- Mounting: Free Standing
- Theme: Mission, Art Deco, Antique, Arts & Crafts/Mission, Farmhouse
- Model: Armchair
- Pattern: quartersawn oak striations
- Type: Desk & Chair Set
- Features: Chair Included, Embossed, Fixed, Hidden Storage, With Drawers, With Wheels
- Antique: Yes
- Color: Brown
- Year Manufactured: 1900, 1890, 1880
- Personalized: No
- Number of Drawers: More Than 5
- Finish: Natural
- Item Length: 30\
- Care Instructions: loving!
- Room: Mancave, She Shed, She Shack, Any Room, Basement, Bedroom, Dining Room, Foyer, Garage, Guestroom, Home Office/Study, Living Room, Lounge
- Mirror Shape: DNA
- Handle Material: Oak
- Item Weight: Exceeds 100lbs overall
- Brand: Unbranded
- Original/Licensed Reproduction: Original
- Time Period Manufactured: 1800-1899
- Bundle Description: Desk and Armchair